Monday, December 3, 2007

Linda Sharon Ross Brenner



I grew up in a small, somewhat rural area with a mother who didn't like to cook and who saw the making of dinner each day an utter chore (feelings I now, as a mother myself, share.) My brothers and I therefore grew up eating the most pedestrian of foods - hamburgers, hot dogs, chinese out of a can, spaghetti, tacos, and the like. While occasionally we didn't like what was being served (lima beans and refried beans come to mind), we pretty much enjoyed everything Mom served. What did we know?

One of my most vivid food-related memories relates to my birthday. Each year, mom would make our favorite dinner. And each year, I'd ask for the same thing: meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. And I loved it. I think I loved best that I could dictate the dinner menu for just one night. To this day, I'm a sucker for meatloaf at almost any restaurant. But none are as good as mom's.

1 comment:

ma said...

I think Chickie Face told me that you used to work for a ham company. Do you like ham?