Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Janine Marie Serresseque


Uh-Oh, SpaghettiOs. Such an aptly created slogan.

When I was a little girl, my favorite thing to eat was my mom's spaghetti with meat sauce. In retrospect, it wasn't anything gourmet-- just hearty and comforting.

imagine my enthusiasm when I saw a commercial for SpaghettiOs! My favorite food, redefined in a cute circular shape! And you could eat them with a spoon, for heavens sake. They had a little song with the tag line, "Uh-Oh! SpaghettiOs!" I had to have them.

I commenced to beg and beg and beg. Of course my mom knew they were total crap, and repeatedly said NO. I don't remember what made her finally give in, but she probably said something like, "Well if I buy these SpaghettiOs for you, you better eat them and not turn your nose up at them!" or some similar mom-like decree. The day she served them for my lunch, I was filled with a sharp anticipation that I can still remember like it was yesterday.

My mom places the steaming bowl of SpaghettiOs in front of me and I am immediately accosted by their puke-like aroma! I mean, the smell of this food was truly funky and unnatural. I vehemently expressed my disenchantment with the SpaghettiOs, but after all that shameless begging, she was having none of it and insisted that I eat this crap that I'd spent the last two weeks pleading for. It was a big showdown, with lots of tears and protestation. I finally did lose the battle and forced myself to eat the whole bowl, all the time threatening to throw up if I was forced to finish my lunch. That's how repulsed I was.

After finishing the SpaghettiOs, I promptly vomited them up all over the place. So lets see...I won the battle, then I lost the battle, then I guess I kinda won the war.

But, for what it's worth, Mom, you were right!

No comments: