Friday, January 11, 2008

Arthur Zanville Steinberg



As anyone who has been around for a few years, I have so many great food memories that I’ll just have to choose among hundreds to share with you now. I hope to supply you with many more as time goes by.

Among my earliest of such memories is one that my maternal grand-mother used to prepare. She lived in our family home in Baltimore and, on occasion, would take over kitchen duties from my mom.

She made a casserole of mashed potatoes mixed with freshly cooked spinach, then baked in a 350 degree oven until the top was crusty, that was out of this world. I used to fight for some of the crust. It was simple to make and delicious.

Many years later, as students in Cincinnati, your “uncle” Arthur B. and I used to treat ourselves to an occasional dinner at two special restaurants. One was an Italian place called Scotti’s where we sat and dined with the owner and her personally prepared viands. I loved her pasta with both meatballs and meat ravioli. The other, La Maisonette, where our favorite waitress, Marge, would advise us of the best menu items of the day. Their rare steaks and bottles of Lafite Rothschild were truly memorable.

Another, from the much more recent past, is the bourbon turkey breast that your Kitty-Mom has been making every Thanksgiving. You’ll have to ask her for the specific recipe but, please do, because it is outstanding.

1 comment:

JB said...

What no lasagna?